Tuesday, November 25, 2008

XLIII - I remember when.

.
Last week's writing challenge from Mama's Losin' It
included an option to write something beginning with "I remember when".
My contribution should be sung to the tune of
"Time goes by" from the film, Casablanca.


◊◊◊

I remember when

I remember when
Letters were writ by pen,
The mail came twice a day;
The fundamental things decay,
As time goes by.

The milk came to your door,
There was lino on your floor,
Mum's made apple pie,
Who cared what the future brings,
As time goes by.

Bad guys wore black hats,
Little girls in pink.
Ovens full of biscuits,
Dishes in the sink.
Spam was canned meat,
And coke was just a drink.
That no one can deny.

But it’s still the same lament,
The rush to change, hell-bent,
No-one stops to wonder why.
Change will always puzzle parents,
As time goes by.

Oh yes, change will always puzzle parents,
As time goes by.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Apologies to Herman Hupfeld.
Print this post

11 comments:

  1. Grinning right back at'cha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the lines "I remember when, a chook was just a hen" keep going through my mind. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah .. i remember those bygone times too..
    also the days of planes swooping low to cover crops with ddt, lead painted baby cribs ...
    boy, were those the days ..
    anyway, it's nice to know that screwing hasn't changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foam: Point taken. I am about to change the second verse - it is in the wrong place, time-wise.

    For the record it read;

    And when two people screw
    They still mouth, "I love you."
    On that you can rely,
    No matter what the email brings,
    As time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol @ Foamie. ♥

    Very nice poem j cosmo, brings back many happy memories. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Très drôle. You really should figure out how to get those instrumental tracks on your site, so we could sing along. (I'm thinking several bottles of Pinot and some headbanging might help...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes ..
    thank goodness for those three simple words of 'i love you' ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. rottweilers liked the old spam better too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am glad to find your blog is back, it was gone last time i looked.

    i would like to make a poem now for the challenge.

    my favorite line was the one with the Spam in it.

    good-one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most assuredly, you are being possessed with a memory that is being as large as a goodly sized monument.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obviously it's been awhile since I've visited, but ... I finally made it. I *love* that spiderweb. And such a poignant recollection. Oddly though, as I was listening to some old radio (1940s) crime show, the crime was distributing drugs to minors. And the drugs were marijuana. Huh.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.