Wednesday, December 31, 2008

LXVII - To a Friend of Many Names.

.

I'm cheating a little on this one. It is some years old now
but has not been published in this blog before and seems quite fitting for the end
of what the Chinese would call an "interesting year".



To a friend of many names.

You touched me once,
In passing;
You probably don't remember,
But I recall it well.

You touched me once,
In passing,
And as you continued on your way
Left a special imprint,
A mark upon the clay that you
And others like you
Have moulded into me.
I reacted to your presence,
To your coming and your going,
With suble little changes
That only I can see.
You shaped my thoughts and standards
Then continued moving on;
Probably never knowing
That I could see where you had been
Long after you had gone.

Yes, you touched me once.

In passing.

You probably don't remember
But I recall it well.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---

Print this post

12 comments:

  1. Wow again you said everything so perfectly. I could apply this poem to so many people in my life. I wish I could send this to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you also touch people in passing and leave an imprint, cosmo.
    here's to a good and interesting new year ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful photograph, footprints in the sand and a truly lovely poem; very much like one I wrote to someone once, but its in my private collection. ♥

    Thank you for your kindness, I wish you and your loved ones a Happy New Year for 2009. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to believe that we all leave prints in the lives around us.

    One can but hope ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite so far... and so you know, it applies to you, too... xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. the students poem to the teacher.
    Nice, and you didn't bring the preacher.
    Not that I mind each either creature.
    Only that here, that's the usual feature....

    at the beach with the footprints wandering off....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foam & Diane: Action & reaction.

    Nice recognised and put, Boneman. It seemed a more appropriate home.

    All: Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sentiments expressed here are very close to my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely poem. A true and lasting observation. You are our prince of prints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good 'un thanks.
    Cheers,
    P

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.