Wednesday, December 10, 2008

XLVIII - Six Signs of Success

.

I have been given an award, a manly sort of award, all black and blokey (see below) by Diane.
Do visit her blog, it is always a good read
and, as she says nice things about me, I can't help but love her.
You will too.


As is their wont, these awards come with conditions.
I must, well should, say something nice about a man in my life
and then list six signs of success, as I see them. As always, a poem.



Six Signs of Success

A poem is a placard, a banner unfurled,
Where I can shake my fist at an uncaring world.

It uses words and pictures to tell
a story in a manner that looks good as well

Poems, for me, are all the sweeter
When they display flow and metre.

And while free-form has its place, I know
I prefer things to be rhyming, it just feels so --- fine.

A poem is mine, I can say what I like
A bonus reward, the more chords I strike.

When all is writ and the wording is fine
The final reward is a glass of wine.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---


Oh, the nice thing about a man: Good bye George.
...
Print this post

8 comments:

  1. Congrats, Cosmo!! The sweeter/metre rhyme is very smart, and unfurled/world reminds me of the scene in Les Mis where Enjolras is singing about the blood of angry men. A+ for this effort, even if it isn't about Rudolph...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant... but I expected no less. And I love you, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. of Course you deserve an award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Cosmo. How do you find the time to write these things?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award j cosmo and what a great tribute poem to the art of writing poetry. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is just such a pleasure to visit! I'm am continually amazed at your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! But measure up to what?

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.