Saturday, February 14, 2009

CXII - The Crocodile and the Koala

.


The Crocodile and the Koala


Said the crocodile to the koala:
“There’s a secret I can share,
When people see me crying,
They think I really care!”

Replied the koala to the crocodile
“I think I get your drift.
When I hug a gum tree,
It’s me that gets a lift.”

“I look so warm and cuddly,
People think I’m really cute,
But underneath the façade
I’m really quite a brute.”

“I clasp on to the eucalypt
As tight as tight can be
But in point of actual fact
I have no feeling for the tree.”

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

6 comments:

  1. Yeah. My ex husband was a koala in a previous life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That deceptive little booger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little ditty! Was it inspired by that picture of the bewildered little koala getting a drink from a fireman?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Molly. The fireman/koala picture has permanently burned itself into my retinas. So good to hear that they are brutish types (the koala, not the fireman). It will help to fade the image. This also makes me think of "How doth the little crocodile...

    How cheerfully he seems to grin,
    How neatly spreads his claws,
    And welcomes little fishes in.
    With gently smiling jaws!

    Were you Lewis Carroll in a previous life? He was sort of beige...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how many "cute" animals are really vicious...especially when you think of Teddy Bears. Who'd want to hug a real bear?

    Another great poem here!

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.