Monday, March 30, 2009

CXXXXVI - The Lord's Prayer

.
I opted to have a go at Mama's Losin' It's writing assignment from last week.
Well, sort of. Her prompt was "
I don't believe in prayer because...".
I decided to take a look at this from God's point of view.
Naturally, it would be a musical.

There is also a shadow of Monty Python's Lumberjack song in the chorus.


The Lord's Prayer

I’m God! I amaze! I positively astound!
I created the heavens, the sky and the ground.
I’m omnipotent
With an intelligence quotient
That you can’t get your mind around.

Chorus
He’s a diety and he knows best
He loves his flock and smites the rest.
He has a beard,
A flowing robe,
And the patience that it takes.
He’s the ruler of the Universe
And he never makes mistakes.

I’m God! I’m King! I created mankind.
I’m the sweetest diety that you’ll ever find.
I’m Jehovah! I’m Allah!
I’m a really nice fella,
The sun shines out of my...well, nevermind.

Chorus

I’m God! I’m smart! I have global vision.
I’m CEO of the angelic division.
But by the end of the day
There’s junk in my tray,
Requesting I change my decisions.

Chorus.

I’m God! I’m tough! I know how to win.
But your lack of trust gets under my skin.
You've a habit of praying,
Over blindly obeying,
And the novelty’s wearing a bit thin.

Chorus.

I’m God! I’m mean. I’ve a hairy chest.
Junk mail irritates and gets me stressed,
Be very careful
When you send me a prayer full
I may just grant you what you request.

Chorus.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

15 comments:

  1. oh .. what divine fun .. :)
    let's see .. what should i request ..
    hmmm....

    oh, wait .. i think you are trying to tell us that you are not a genie in a bottle ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would work 'on ice', too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is nice to think of God in a more human state of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amused, but the nuns would be shocked! Here's hoping he has a sense of humour....oh wait a minute! Of course he has---he made US!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so the Lord's Prayer is really funny. LOL
    Health information
    Humor & Fun World

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would definitely book a front row circle seat for that show.

    I feel there might be scope for another verse in there too, using the rhymes 'deity' and 'laity'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite cute with this, J Cosmo :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I’m CEO of the angelic division."

    A fabulous line. And Mel Brooks is cast in the role of God yet again?

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. back in fine form !!!
    excellent xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo, encore, Gods no longer a bore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going with Lady Fi's comment: A deity who's amused. I mean, who would want his/ her job ??? Talk about carrying the weight of the world on one's shoulders ....

    xxx
    rdm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got quite a mental picture with the 'sun shines out his...' bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're back ... and with a doozy! Loved it! And God smiled upon you on this day, didn't She?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was ready to write my comment when my husband called me to help him with something. Several hours later, I can't remember what I was going to say and I can't get the Lumberjack song out of my head.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.